July 12, 2009

Zeppelin 2gb Ram Sticks

Just bought some new RAM earlier. I currently have 1x2gb ddr2-800 team elite ram on my rig but found out (after installing Windows 7 64bit and playing Crysis Warhead lol) that my system was basically begging for more. So I went out to the local computer shop and found 2 types of ram available. The Godly expensive Geil Evo One 4gb kit and the Godly cheap looking Zeppelin 2GB sticks haha. I figured I wasn't OC'ing anyway so I went with cheap ones and bought 2 of them (well, at least they had heat spreaders) for a dual-channel config and to bring my total to 6gb (just like triple channel i7 6gb kits haha).

Seeing the specs in the little sticker attached to it, I was hoping there wouldn't be any issues since they were CAS5-rated ram sticks like my Team Elite ones. Unsurprisingly (given their unknown brand), they were CAS5 only at ddr2-667 speeds and CAS6 at ddr2-800 T_T. So I had to run the Team Elite ones a notch lower at 333mhz, unless I loosen their timings to match Mister Zeppelin here.

The good thing is that I didn't really feel any performance decrease with the lower speed. It also eliminated my stuttering problems now in Crysis and I could even run it at DX9 64bit now ^^. Windows 7 feels a lot snappier now too, and a lot more responsive even with multiple things going on. Guess it isn't so bad if you run everything at stock

No comments: